Visit Tech Alliance
Webinar: What is digital identity and what does this mean for Māori?
About the Event :
Join Digital Identity New Zealand and Te Matarau Māori Tech Association (Te Matarau) for a panel discussion about all things digital identity, some of the changes that are happening in this space, and what it means for Māori and Aotearoa New Zealand.
In Aotearoa, we use things like passports, birth certificates and RealMe to identify ourselves with government agencies. Online we use services like Google and Facebook to share content and connect with each other. We use our fingerprints and facial recognition to unlock our phones and in Te Ao Māori we have tribal registries and the Māori land court to register with our Iwi or Whenua trusts.
These are all digital identity systems that have recorded different pieces of information about who we are and what our rights or entitlements might be, whether that be our right to vote, our ability to access services, or even to keep a record of the things we do and like. But how much do we understand about these systems, what are the risks, and what are the opportunities?
Topics we’ll be discussing include:
- What is digital identity and what does it look like today?
- Why do digital identity systems exist and what benefits do they provide?
- What are the potential risks and what can be done to prevent them?
- What are the opportunities?
- What does the future of digital identity look like?
- How can people get involved?
- Date: Thursday, 6 April, 2023
- Time: 12.30pm – 2pm
- Location: Online
- Event Type: Virtual
- Cost: Free for members and non-members
- Panel Facilitator: Kaye-Maree Dunn CEO, Co-Founder & Kaituitui | Making Everything Achievable, Āhau
- Lee Timutimu CEO & Founder | Te Matarau – Māori Tech Association, Arataki Systems
- Colin Wallis Executive Director | Digital Identity New Zealand
- Ben Tairea CEO & Co-Founder, Co-Chair | Āhau, Digital Identity New Zealand
- Jane-Renee Retimana GM Strategy & Corporate Affairs | Payments NZ
- Karen Vercoe Deputy Chief Executive – Māori Strategy & Performance | Department of Internal Affairs
- Dr Karaitiana Taiuru Consultant & Director | Taiuru & Associates Ltd