In December last year members elected the first Digital Identity NZ Executive Council. The Council is the governing group for the association; providing guidance and direction as we navigate the developing world of digital identity in Aotearoa. Each Council member is elected for a two-year term, with elections held annually and results notified at the Annual Meeting in December. As we approach the end of the year it is time for us to call for nominations for the Council seats coming up for re-election.
This year we have four positions up for election, two each in the Major Corporate and SME/Startup categories.
When we formed the Executive Council last year we asked that you consider electing a diverse group of members who reflect the diversity of the community we seek to support. You did that. The power of that diversity has shone through in the work of the Council this year, especially as we consider the importance of Te Tiriti in a well-functioning digital identity ecosystem.
As the Council has reflected on its own makeup we have identified a number of areas where diversity would continue to improve our ability to serve the community. We would particularly welcome nominations from those involved in healthcare and kaupapa Māori organisations. We are also encouraging nominations from young people from within your organisations, as a youth perspective is incredibly important and pertinent to the work we do.
Once elected in December, one of the first duties of the new Council is to elect leadership roles. David Morrison has held the Chair role since our inception in 2018, and is an exceptional Kaiārahi (guide/counsellor/leader). David’s term on Council extends to 2021, and he has indicated that he is likely to step down from the Executive Council at that time. Our plan this year is for the Council to select two co-chairs to aid in a smooth transition. The opportunity to chair is open to any Council member, and we encourage any who have a desire and passion to serve in this way to make themselves available for nomination.
2021 is a pivotal year for digital identity with the introduction of the Digital Identity Bill and further development of the ecosystem. We are looking forward to some stellar nominations to help us in exploring and pursuing the best opportunities for Digital Identity NZ to make a positive difference in 2021 and beyond.
Executive Council Nominations
There is now an opportunity to put yourself forward or nominate someone else for a role on the Digital Identity NZ Executive Council. This year we have vacancies for the following positions:
- Corporate – Major (2 positions)
- SME & Start-up (2 positions)
The nominees for the above positions must be from a Digital Identity NZ member organisation, and be from the same Digital Identity NZ Group that they are to represent on the Executive Council.
All nominations must be entered into the online form here by 5pm, Thursday 5 November 2020.
Digital Identity NZExecutive Council roles and responsibilities include:
- Direct and supervise the business and affairs of Digital Identity NZ
- Attend monthly Executive Council meetings, usually two hours in duration (video conferencing available)
- Represent Digital Identity NZ at industry events and as part of delegations
- Assist with managing and securing members of Digital Identity NZ
- Participate in Digital Identity NZ working groups and projects
- Where agreed by the Executive Council, act as a spokesperson for Digital Identity NZ on particular issues relating to working groups or projects
- Be a vocal advocate of Digital Identity NZ
Voting will take place online in advance of the meeting. The results will be announced at the Annual Meeting. Please see the Charter for an outline of Executive Council Membership and election process. Each organisation has one vote that is allocated to the primary contact of the member organisation.
Annual Meeting Details
The Annual Meeting is scheduled for 9.30am on Thursday 10 December 2020 and is to be held via Zoom. Register for the event here.
Notices and Remits
If you wish to propose any notices or motions to be considered at the Annual Meeting, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm, Thursday 19 November 2020.
- Now: Call for Nominations for Executive Council representatives issued to Members
- 5 November: Deadline for nominations to be received
- 12 November: List of nominees to be issued to Digital Identity voting members and electronic voting commences
- 19 November: Any proposed notices, motions or remits to be advised to Digital Identity NZ
- 10 December: Annual Meeting, results of online voting announced.